Email ME

Email ME
I love to hear from you! Please email me for any questions I am unable to reply to comments

Saturday, 13 December 2014

Too Good to Waste...

Happy Saturday,


As it nears the end of the year then I am slightly changing my days and something Different saturday is being retired until next year.  I have loads of new features planned for January 2015 onwards and so will be moving days round and adding new features.



That said today, and every saturday for the next couple of weeks, will feature a card or project until next years changes.  I know for the last couple of years I have heavily featured Christmas Projects In december but  a great number of them were too late for people to try and with all the dramatic changes in my life over the last six months time just simply has not been my friend!


Bak to toady and a simple card that, again, uses scrap pieces form another project this time the workshop project for january.  The whole card is based on the waste piece that I had left over from cutting the leaves for the front.  When I am cutting a specific die, especially when it is form an expensive piece of paper or one I have spent time prepping beforehand, I always look at the pice I am cutting bit from to see if I can either cut lots form the piece thus saving card, or whether it is worth centralising the die to make the most of the scrap piece.

For my workshop pice I wanted the foliage in silver gilding to match the gilded panel at the back and a few weeks ago Sue mentioned that she had received a tip that it was better to gild a piece of card then cut the die as it makes it easier to handle.  I therefore gilded a small(ish) piece and cut the leaves form the centre.  This acme the basis of today's card when I mounted this over a piece of Navy card form my stash I got a lovely shaded branch in relief.

I grabbed a double bow that was sitting on my desk, made during November workshop to try out this stunning stain centered ribbon from Creative Expressions in platinum and added it to the front.


The reminder of the card is pretty simple to put together I embossed a further piece of the navy card using the Creative Expressions A4 pinpoint embossing folder rows of bows and rubbed platinum gilding wax over the raised surface.  A strip of the ribbon and a few layers of silver and blue, with foam tape added for dimension of course, and finished.

A quick polish of the gilding wax and the gilded piece was required to bring out the shine (hopefully visible on the photo here) and the card really shone!

Enjoy...

Am away visiting my Father in Spain so shorter post for the next few days! x



28 comments:

  1. WOW John, what you can do with a waste piece of card-fantastic project. Love the gilding wax, I'm using it a lot now thanks to your instructions.
    Love val x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John. What a lovely card, it is so elegant.I love the colours you have chosen, the silver gilding looks stunning against the navy : ) Have a wonderful time with your Father, and enjoy the warmer weather! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning John,
    Fabulous use of the waste, love it all except the bow, sorry as I have said before just don't like big bows. Hope you have a great visit with your Father.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. very classy john, loving the sehhen that glows on it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly gorgeous That navy is gorgeous, not as harsh as black and the fact The focal piece is a piece of waste!! I must think more about placement of my die on the card The times I cut something out and then think "that would've made a lovely aperture" Enjoy your trip to see your dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi John
    Beautiful card I just love the bow. I'm no good at bows lol. Definately a good tip for the waste pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, its back to Hola John!
    Terrific card matey. Would be nice to see a bit more of that fab aperture as its such a great idea. The blue and silver is a cracking combo again.
    Enjoy your break in, hopefully a bit of warmth.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful card, the silver and navy combo is so elegant

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really must pay attention when I cut a piece out now. This is adorable
    Janice W

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning John, I love these extra cards made from left overs, and dare I say more of a wow factor as we all know how it came about.
    X Ros

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really must think ahead more, your card today emphasizes this no end. Enjoy your visit with Dad, I bet its warmer there than here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this card and the colours are fab!! Enjoy Spain and the, hopefully, warmer weather there...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely card John,love the silver,and I will,when I get back to crafting,Center my Dies,thanks for the inspiration.
    Enjoy your trip to Spain.
    Ita.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi John,
    good tip about centering the dies and using the waste when the card is expensive. I shall do that in future. The card is lovely and the ribbon divine.
    HAGD, Rose

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi John
    This card is A M A Z I N G!!!!
    Thanks so much for all your hard work!! Enjoy Spain - it's got to be warmer than here - at least during the day!!
    Sheila x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, amazing that you can create such a stunning card out of your so called waste. the bow is beautiful and I love the colourway, navy being one of my favorite colours.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful!

    Your designs are the best out there - anywhere, Internet, blogs, Newsletters, Magazines, How-to-books.

    What is amazing about your art is that you are consistent in a clever, beautiful design each and every day.

    Most blogs have it so obvious they threw something together just to fill the space for the day or to sell another folder or die.

    Saludos,
    Petrina

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely card John, weather not much warmer here in Spain.
    I will look out for you, you never know I might see you!!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a gorgeous card! And such good ideas, I'm really inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi John simply beautiful your card today Beryl xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stunning John, so beautiful, simple but very effective.

    Enjoy your time in Spain

    Love & Hugs

    Jacquie J xxx
    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello John, love this card, simple........ but it really makes a statement!
    Have a good time in Spain. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi John, Sorry a bit late today, living in the Highlands plays havoc with access to the internet at times. What a classy card, love it and you make it sound so simple. Thanks again for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi John. Stunning card. I love it.
    Have a nice time in Spain
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi John this is a gorgeous card. I love the idea of using the waste. Have a great time in Spain. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beauriful card and all the more so because youhave used 'scrap' I tend to be a bit frugal and make sure I get as much out of a piece of card as possible but sometimes I will look at a piece left behind and think if only I had put my brain in gear I could have made two cards from one piece - I will remember in future xx have a good trip xx GailT xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is fantastic John. I've kept loads over time thinking I would use a a stencil and never got round to it. Got to admit, it was never from gilded card. This look amazing.
    I am a new follower of your blog but I've been looking at all of your stunning creations on pintrest, which I love.
    Brilliant.
    Lots of love
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely card John, the waste does not look like waste, if that makes sense very striking x x x

    ReplyDelete