Email ME

Email ME
I love to hear from you! Please email me for any questions I am unable to reply to comments

Friday, 3 October 2014

The long and the tall of it...

Happy Christmas Friday,

strange title I think for today however there is a reason, both Sue and myself get emails form our American followers asking for smaller cards than we do.  I am a fan, as I am sure you know by now, of larger cards however our American friends like them on the smaller size.  Therefore I thought it would be good to show 2 versions of this card, one sized for the U.S. and one for us here in the U.K. and Europe.  I wanted to show that a large card can be finished simpler to make it smaller and cuter.  There is also another reason as not everyone likes large bows so by making the card smaller you cant put a large bow on it.

The first version is the smaller card which I have used as a header on the larger card below.my usual larger card.  I started by cutting Sue's Peace die in vintage gold foundation card however I discard the die cut itself and used the waste.  I left the waste pieces in the die along with the piece I cut it from.  I stuck the pieces down to a sheet of coconut card using a double sided adhesive sheet.  I then filled the gaps, what would originally of been the die cut with Iced snow.  Once complete I hand cut the sheet into the size you see.  The strange thing of this card is that when you hold it close to you it is hard to read the Peace, holding it at a distance shows the word perfectly, its such a shame you can't see it in real life to get this!

I mounted the die cut onto another piece of the vintage gold that I had covered, again using a Double sided adhesive sheet, with iced snow.  A few interspersing layers of the white and gold and he simple card finished.

Moving to the larger card All i effectively added was a large piece of vintage gold embossed with the CE Nordic Trees A4 embossing folder.  This was added to the back and was mounted in white before being finished with a thin layer of gold again.


Fibally I added a large bow made with gold silk crush ribbon, and a white pearl dazzler (large of course)



Ingredients:
Sue Wilson Peace Die
CE Nordic Trees A4 Embossing Folder 
Vintage Gold & Coconut White Foundation Card
Iced Snow
Gold Silky Crush Ribbon

Enjoy...


23 comments:

  1. Hi John, this looks amazing using the "waste" from the Peace die, need to get some more double sided adhesive sheets I think. Love both the small and the large version. Have a great day. Bx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning John, stunning card whatever the size. Yes the US do seem to like smaller cards and you have done them proud. Love how you have used the die as I have done that myself lol! Sue really thought about these dies when she designed them.
    Have a nice day.

    Love & Hugs

    Jacquie J xxx
    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card love the layering. Perhaps 'Little and Large' could be a theme for you for future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning John both cards are gorgeous. It is good to see a smaller card not all my Christmas cards are large because of postage. If you give a card sky's the limit. Have a great day. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morning John,
    Both of your Cards are Truly Stunning, I must confess I like the larger Cards, and I love to accessories with Bows etc: if appropriate, your Cards are such an inspiration thank you for sharing your talent with us.
    Hugs from Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morning John,
    Love both sizes but would leave off the bow, like the way you have used the peace die, will be trying this.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very clever John. I had to scrill up and down twice to fugure out what you'd done.
    Both are really beautiful and i so love the Peace die.
    I must admit to making smaller cards especially if I'm to post them. Most of my ordinary Christmas cards are 5x5 and quite flat so hopefully I'll get away with a normal 2nd class stamp. Wendy (Spanish Crafter) is kindly taking them back to post when she goes to the UK on holiday at the beginning of December.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Love Val x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Morning John, love both your cards. I bet the Americans wouldn't have liked the card on my blog yesterday as it was extra long at 11.5 inches !!!! Have a good day. Janice xxx http://createdbyjan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Large one for me but they are both lovely, xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello John, love both of these cards they are really beautiful, thank you for sharing, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eh up John
    Im not sizeist. Love em big or small (but small and flat good for posting as Im tight lol!)
    Both cards are equally fabulous, showcasing that beautiful die.
    Have a great day matey.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi John,
    Big is always better for me! (said with tongue in cheek! Lol! Ok I'm off to the naughty step!) Seriously though I rarely make smaller than 5 x 7. ..but today's creations are beautiful in both sizes and I do love the Iced Snow effect,

    Love Sheila xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well thanks for thinking of us in the US John (I was not one that asked). I am loving the larger cards but never do bigger than 5 x 7. Our postal rates are ridiculous, bogged down in rules and regulations. A larger card would cost almost 2 USD to mail here. Square cards cost more to mail too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi John another great card from you I love to use gold for my Christmas cards Beryl xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Morning John. Stunning cards. I make both sizes. Love the colour combination. Have a great day. Jan. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Two great cards, i'd leave the bow off them but thats just me! I think 2 USD is cheap for postal costs compared to UK prices now.

    Michele.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi John,
    now I am a big fan, of big cards, so of course I like the latter of the two, with that lovely bow.
    They are both really great designs, and fab use of all the great items used.
    Crafty Regards. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  18. In fact I think I prefer the smaller one today Most of my Christmas cards are posted which (used to be!) is the reason for Christmas cards in the first place They are/were sent to those we wouldn't/couldn't see over the Christmas period Postage costs are important to me too

    ReplyDelete
  19. What amazing cards. Both of them are stunning pieces of work. X

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi John
    Two lovely cards again today! I'm leaning towards the smaller one! I have a memory box candle die and I recently cut it out in two colours, then swapped over the waste pieces and glued them in the gaps. I was quite pleased with the result and enjoyed piecing them back together (but there weren't as many wast pieces as in your cards today! LOL. Best wishes, Anne O

    ReplyDelete
  21. Both finished cards are gorgeous - and luv the colour combos xx GailT xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi John both cards are stunning.
    Ita.

    ReplyDelete