Saturday, 11 October 2014

Some more saturday boxes...

Happy Saturday,

As last weeks boxes seemed to go down well I thought I would show some more of the die cut boxes I have made this week.  Now as for instructions these couldn't be easier.  I start by measuring the item I want to box, usually a a card, and add half a cm to each measurement.  Next I add 4cm to each measurement as I make card boxes at a depth of 2cm which means that it can be posted as a large letter and won't have to go as a parcel.  I know that postal costs aren't cheap but second class large letter is a price worth paying for some people.  The other reason for making them at 2cm depth is that on the fancier boxes it can go into an A4 envelope without going over the 2.5cm large letter allowance.


I score each side at 2cm then place whichever die I am making the box with in the centre or wherever I want the design and cut.

In this first box I have used the Provence die set by Sue Wilson and cut the largest filigree section along with the middle cutting die from the centre of a 21cm square piece of ginger foundation card.  Next I cut a piece of Kraft card using the smallest filigree section form the same set and placed this behind the original die cut.  I then folded this into the box lid.  To make the box bases I cut a piece of card to the same size then take  3mm off 2 of the side so that when the base is folded it is slightly smaller than the lid and yet still fits tight.








This next box is again made using Ginger Foundation card however this time I have die cut the bevelled glass striplet, gain by Sue Wilson, three times in a row in the top.


Finally This is the box I made to house my Creative Expressions DT project this week, click HERE if you missed the card.  I made the box in the same manner as the card by stamping the Filigree Frame stamp in perfect medium and embossing it in black.  I cut the piece and added it to the centre of a piece of Kraft card and hand cut the hole in the middle.  I made this piece into a box lid using the method above and threaded ribbon over and under the aperture.  I then tied the two pieces together to ale a knot.  Add a base and finished.  This box is great because you can see the card within and the colours match!


Extra, I have been informed that I made a complete mess of my post on Thursday and got the names of all the products I used completely wrong.  I have now updated the post so if you were confused scroll back for the correct information!
Enjoy...

17 comments:

  1. Great, thanks for explaining how you do the measurements. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning John,
    We are so Lucky to have Fabulous Boxes this morning, I Just Love making Boxes and you've now given me different ideas to work with, I Love the Coloured Card Stock used, and the Beautiful Dies. Thank You for sharing your Tremendous Blog with us John.
    Hugs from Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John. Thank you for explaining how you take the measurements, That is where I sometimes go wrong : ) I love the Provence and Bevelled striplet ones most of all . Have a good weekend. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow-stunning creations. I like the first two probably because of the colour of the card but all your projects are amazing.

    Michele.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning John thank for all the tips and instructions for your beautiful boxes. I agree if it is someone special they are worth a large letter stamp. Have a great weekend. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi John. Both the boxes and the card of course are really beautiful and thanks for the info re the measurements.
    Have a great weekend.
    Do you know which shows you will appearing in on Thursday or are you on them all?
    Love val x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning John, I love to add boxes to that special card. These two today are really lovely Beryl xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful boxes John, thank you for the instructions.

    Love & Hugs

    Jacquie J xxx
    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Morning John
    A lovely array of boxes, thanks for the information.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eh up John
    They are all stunning matey but I particularly like the provence cut one. The ginger card is yummy.
    Have a great day.
    Ang x

    ps. . .When you post your card tomorrow, I will link it to my card from yesterday. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi John,
    I love the different styles of boxes that you have made in the past and today. Thank you so much for the instructions and how to take the measurements.

    Love Sheila xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow John, three for one, you are really treating us today. I am still intrigued with the box holding your card - more because of the way the ribbon goes, holding it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good morning John,
    thank you for showing this week's boxes that you have made to go with your cards. There is nothing more special than a beautiful card with it's equally as beautiful box. I know you did a written commentary on how to do your craft card accordian card for the design team show but would it be at all possible for you to do a video on it as i get easily confused and can't for the life of me get how this card was done, it just wont go in at all. I know that you are a very busy man, but i wonder if anyone else is as dim as me.
    Many thanks John for the inspiration,
    Crafty hugs
    Norah (Glenochil)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi John,
    beautiful array of boxes.
    Love your designs on these really fab creations.
    I too love to make boxes, but nothing as filigree as yours, I just decorate them to match my cards.
    I have just finished a box and book card for a young mans 18th Birthday as he loves Cardiff City football team.
    Are you getting nervous about your TV appearance on Thursday.
    I can't wait to watch you demonstrate, just hope you get a lovely presenter like Dean or Nigel.
    Crafty Regards. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabby boxes - luv them all xx PS didn't notice your boo-boo on Thursdays post!! and did read the ingredients too xx GailT xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely boxes I particularly like how you've woven the ribbon on the first box and the bevelled Striplet is a real favourite of mine

    ReplyDelete
  17. great boxes ,you never fail to impress ,Laura O

    ReplyDelete