Email ME

Email ME
I love to hear from you! Please email me for any questions I am unable to reply to comments

Saturday, 15 March 2014

Different Saturday...

Happy Saturday,

I have to admit that todays project (not a box hurrah) started out as something different than what I am presenting. I watched the Sheena Douglas you tube video featured on the Hope and Chances website and decided to cover the carft caddy I purchased from there with the leather technique however for the large pieces I needed for this It just didn't work!  I decided to go for a smaler first  project so this grungy notebook was born.

Now I dont normally present grungy projects although I do like to get my hands dirty occasionally!







I started by colouring the "leather" with a combination of distress inks ( black soot, fired brick and vintage photo) before attaching it to an already made natebook.  I then added more ink to age the cover and hopefully make it look like it had been in a drawer for years.


The front tag was made using a sizzix Tim holtz book plate die which I cut out of the inside of a coke can is it is actually metal! I aged this with a selection of alcohol inks!

A strip of ribbon, as a page marker and a bead and finished.  A little distressed but I hop you like as this is very different for me.


Enjoy...

14 comments:

  1. Fab project and technique xx GailT xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola John
    I saw Sheena do this technique on one of the C & C shows. Very effective. It does, indeed, look like aged leather. . .a bit like Madge on Benidorm!
    Have a great weekend.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry your larger piece didn't work , but this one looks very like leather. I didn't have any trouble getting hold of Glycerine here, probably because there aren't so many Irish people watching C&C as there are in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, It certainly looks like leather and who´d have thought a coke can could be turned into something so special. Love the embossing folder you´ve used as well.
    Love Val x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morning John,
    A great project, if it's a gift then it will be loved.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi John. This may be very different for you but it is certainly a real winner. I must get some glycerine and have a go because I love the effect. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab ! you did really well John, will make a great gift, i love it
    Elaine H X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi John,
    Fab book and wonderfully done too. Great colours used.
    I have made 2 of these covers but not the inside of the book as yet, just need to find some material to go inside.
    Crafty regards. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like this, and it does look like you've had it for ages. I watched Sheena demonstrate this, but have not managed to give it a try yet.
    Janice W

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is fabulous John, looks great, I do wish to have a go at this technique but not got the items required yet!

    Great colour and love how you used the coke can for the metal tab. I have only used a coke can for a pin hole camera lol!

    Love & hugs

    Jacquie J xxx
    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi John a fantastic book,it does look like leather,would make a great gift,well done,and using the coke tin for the tag is brilliant .
    Ita

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like others John I think this idea is great but haven't got around to buying the glycerine yet. You didn't mention this in your text so am wondering if you didn't use it on your first project and this was why it didn't work? have a good weekend, best wishes Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is a great project and does look like leather ,must try it "soon".Laura O

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks brilliant, I love the idea of covering a notebook! :) x

    ReplyDelete